9.28.2010

On the precipice of perfection...

Today I walked outside into what I consider perfect weather. The sun was out, but there were gray clouds lazing about, promising rainfall. The wind was blowing, the leaves were swaying and falling. The chill air felt absolutely wonderful on my lungs. The temperature was perfect, and there wasn't a feeling of humidity to be had. While I was standing there in my front yard, a drizzle began.

And I was content.

Yesterday, before the temperatures had a chance to fully drop, I was at church early to build some stools for our teen center. The youth minister tossed me her keys to go out to her car for the stools and offered me an umbrella. I declined, and was subsequently drenched.

And I was content.


If my neighborhood weren't borderline-dangerous and largely unsightly, I would be going for a walk during dusk tomorrow, rain or shine - though ideally rain.

Nothing would make me happier than to sit in the company of friends under the shelter of the last few trees trees thick with golden leaves while the rain fell all around and on us. Leaned up against the trunk, with a grin plaster on my face - I would be content.

What I'm trying to say is - I've missed the rain showers born on the Fall cold friends, bringing lower temperatures, warmer clothes, and delightful drizzles. Soon, I will sip on cider, and have things consisting of pumpkin spice and who-care's-what-else. Slowly but steadily, sandals will fade from my day-to-day wear (though not completely) into shoes and boots. Before I know it, I'll be pining for a fireplace warm with the glow of roasting logs, sipping cocoa, wrapped in a blanket. At least - that'd be the ideal... it never quite gets cold enough around here for me to need quite all that.

'Tis a shame I have few people with which to share it.

Rain.
Rain.
Rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment